top of page

Disabled Facilities Grants


You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home. For example if you:

  • are physically disabled·have a learning disability

  • have age-related needs

  • are autistic

  • have a cognitive impairment, like dementia

  • have a progressive condition, like motor neurone disease

  • have a terminal illnes·have a mental health condition

You might need to:

  • widen doors and install ramps or grab rails

  • improve access to rooms and facilities, for example with a stairlift, or level access shower

  • improve access to your garden

  • build an extension, for example a downstairs bedroom

  • provide a heating system suitable for your needs

  • adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use

A Disabled Facilities Grant won’t affect any benefits you get.

What you'll get

How much you get usually depends on your:

  • household income

  • household savings over £6,000

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account. Contact your local council for more information.

Landlords can get a grant without their income and savings being taken into account. The council may ask for the property to be let to another disabled person if the current tenant moves within 5 years.

How much you can apply for

England Up to £30,000

Wales Up to £36,000

Northern Ireland Up to £25,000

Some councils may give more.

Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

You can apply for another grant for the same property if you need to. For example, if your condition changes.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • in instalments, as the work progresses

  • in full, when the work is finished

The council may pay the contractor directly or give you a cheque to pass on to them. They’ll agree this with you when they approve your application.

When you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • when you and the council are happy with the finished work

  • when you give the council the invoice, demand or receipt for payment from the contractor

Normally, if you (or a relative) do the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.

For further information

Government website

Local Authority Grants

search “Disabled Facilities Grants” on your local authority’s website. Your local authority will be whichever Council you pay your Council Tax to.

39 views0 comments


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page